FE Exam passing score (2024 update)
Author: Mike Grossman, Professional Engineer │ Editor: Chantal Flores, Education Facilitator
🕜 6 Minute Read │ 🗓️ Updated: December 29, 2024
ON THIS PAGE
NCEES scoring process
Making sense of the scoring process
How long to get exam results
The FE exam is scored on a pass or fail system and the NCEES doesn't publish the score needed to pass. They make mentions of a "scaled score", "subject- matter experts" and "psychometric statistical methods". Navigating this can be a bit confusing and the myths and tall tales are definitely out there.
Read on to understand how they determine such an important number.
(NOTE: if you're in preparation mode, then see our FE exam article, and be mindful of the FE exam dates)
🔑 Key Takeaways
- The FE exam is a pass or fail exam, and the passing score is not published.
- A 5 hour and 20 minute exam with 110 multiple choice questions covering your engineering degree.
- If you pass you'll receive notice by email. If you don't pass, you'll receive an email notification and a diagnostic report.
- Psychometric testing methods are used to determine a pass and passing the exam shows that you exceed a minimally-accepted level of knowledge in the field.
- Psychometric techniques include: aptitude testing questions, numerical reasoning questions, mechanical and logical reasoning questions, and inductive reasoning questions.
- Periodically the NCEES conducts surveys to determine the fairness of the FE exam content.